Monday, October 13, 2014

I've Fallen Behind

Alright, I know I know I have fallen behind a bit in my writing and posting.  But with Orioles baseball who has time to think or write about anything else.  Ok sure we have lost the past two games but we are going to rebound I know it.  I have a few sermons on the way from the past few weeks.  I have been preaching the second through fourth Sundays at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church in SE Portland, so a majority of the sermons I am posting for now has been from my Sunday's at Holy Trinity.  If you are in the area we would love to have you join us for worship at 9:30am.  

I have been hesitant of posting these sermons because I cannot say that I feel good about them, but that is all a part of the process.  I know that not every sermon or speech I give is going to be the best, so that is why I continue to work and strive to get better.  In a recent All Songs Considered podcast (Beck Interview on All Songs Considered) Beck, one of my favorite artists, spoke about a concept that I had never considered but makes sense.  One of the hosts asked Beck if he has any bad songs in his lengthy career and Beck's response was very interesting.

HILTON: It must be a constant voice in your head. I was just scrolling through my library and thinking, "Has this guy written a bad song? I've got like 200 songs here!"

BECK: Yeah, there's some bad ones for sure. You have to write the bad ones to get to a decent one; I really believe in that. I kind of wish there was more room for people to make bad records — just make a couple bad ones, you know, to get to the good stuff. I think it's part of the process.

There needs to be that space to fail in order to know how to grow.  That is something that there does not seem to be a lot of in our society, room to fail at something.  The attempts that we make a life, art, relationships, sermons or anything should be authentic first.  These attempts maybe right or wrong, good or bad but the importance is being authentic and striving to learn from our mistakes and short-comings.  We are striving to make something beautiful in the world but that won’t be done right the first time…


So with saying all this listen to Morning Phase and make something beautiful….more to come later.




No comments:

Post a Comment